Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Useful Distractions

Useful observations.

My drama class is totally awesome, mainly because it's a class I get elective credit for AND it's nothing like a regular class. I have to do a 7-10 minute scene with a partner and one of the exercises to help us work together is the "Trust Exercise". Essentially,  my partner (who I don't know very well at all) led me on an obstacle course around the school while I had my eyes closed. It may not sound that crazy, but I was amazed on the profound affect it had on me. Number one, I realized I really don't have a high level of trust at all. Getting started was hard and I was pretty adamant that I could not really trust that he would ensure I didn't fall down a flight of stairs. My suspicions were going full throttle. Honestly, I was pretty annoyed at myself because I was trying not to feel that way, but I couldn't help it.

Eventually I somehow managed to make a deal with myself and decided I was just going to do this properly and jeez, what a difference! I felt 100% different when I made the choice to trust in my own instincts and also to trust him. All my senses were heightened, except of course for sight: touch, smell, hearing and likely if I had decided to eat something then my taste buds would have been on fire. The main difference that stood out to me was an obvious release of physical tension and then the realization that I walk around tense and suspicious more often than not. It was just a dumb activity, but I like doing things that give you something to compare a before and after. When you have a physical manifestation happen to you, it's a lot easier to go back to that feeling at a later time. If you need it.

Dumb, but good. Take a drama class! :)

No comments: