Friday, June 04, 2010

Portland, OR

3 days of meditation, yoga and peace of mind this weekend. I can't wait! I have never been to a retreat before, nor to Portland, so I am pretty stoked.  Yoga was one of my saving graces last year and I think it helped me churn through a lot of emotion. I just feel a lot more aware of what is going on inside of me and more focused inwardly - when I need to be. I do a style of yoga called Amrit Yoga: "meditation in motion, transforming the philosophy of yoga into experiential reality-transcending every aspect of your being. This practice integrates joyful inner stillness with effortless outer action in the world." The daughter of the yogi who founded this method is running the retreat and giving classes. She's lovely!

Unfortunately, I do feel a little under the gun, as finals are coming up next week, but this is when it was happening so there was little choice. Have to take care of the soul and give it priority even if the timing is not ideal. That's the lesson we learn from yoga anyway; "it is a metaphor for life. The skills of mindful attention and meditative awareness you develop on the yoga mat extend to challenges you encounter in life. Painful transition periods, relationships and crises can become opportunities and openings for personal transformation."

I have a new book to read for the drive there and back. Conditions of Love, by John Armstrong which is supposed to be an exquisite philosophical inquiry into the many dimensions of love and intimacy in relationships. Should be fun. :)

NAMASTE!

No comments: