Thursday, May 13, 2010

Roads Divide. Roads Converge.


It's funny, the thought doesn't depress me quite as much these days and in a weird way actually excites me. In becoming a stranger I potentially have the opportunity to get to know you again one day. Maybe it could be like starting from scratch, all the bullshit aside. People will always wander in and out of life. For a moment in time they are tangible and real, but as quickly as they come in - they are gone. They disappear into the past, into a dream world that you can never be fully sure happened just the way you remember. The past often feels like a dream. Did you happen? You've gone, disappeared, did you ever exist? My connection with you is only a series of thoughts and memories, strung together like a pearl necklace. Did I dream you once upon a time?

Our worlds collide, but only for a moment in time... a moment later you are nothing, but a stranger. You're struggling, like I do, day by day. You're fighting, just like I am, to make it through this life. But not in the same world, not in the same reality. How does it happen? We are living ghosts in a bizarre twist of fate.

 How ever much distance is now between us, the connection can never be fully severed... not for me anyway. Anyone I have known, that has made an impression on me, will forever be a part of me in some way. In a different world, perhaps as a stranger, yet we'll never forget where we hide the spare keys to each other's hearts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not imperative, no. Better maybe? We knew each other a life time ago. :) Sometimes in anonymity it's easier to say what you think.

I was thinking about what you said, surrounding oneself with friends that speak the same language... if we did that, would we ever learn a new one? But then again, no one thinks or speaks exactly the same and real friends that do understand you are worth the world.

Don't stop writing.

Miss M said...

The need for camaraderie is strong when you find yourself wandering the world feeling like a bit of an alien. It's wishful thinking for me to imagine that I will ever surround myself with people who think exactly like me, as you said - no one speaks the same language.

More likely we're surrounded by languages of all kinds. You try to fit in the best you can, you learn, you do what you have to do - but you'll always be different. And then it's the way of human nature, we tend to shy away and reject things that are unusual or unfamiliar.

Crazy world. Crazy life.

florecita said...

This is awesome. You have an "anonymous". It's like having a stalker.
I bet it's Mig. :p

I wish I could convince you that you don't need to "fit in", I wish you could value your uniqueness and enjoy it more... but I know it sucks to be lonely. The cool thing about being a stranger is that everything is new and unfamiliar, anything can happen. I think those possibilities should be exciting.

Miss M said...

I must say, I am quite excited for the unknown and I don't care that much to have to fit in. But then I think I might be a living paradox of opposites. I'm flying through life on smooth air currents, for the most part, but when I hit any turbulence I am almost certain it's going to be the final straw that takes me out.

And then the turbulence passes. You'd think I'd learn this, by now.